Friday, February 17, 2012

Senior Perks

11/22/63:
I've finally finished reading Stephen King's newest novel (11/22/63).  It's really a long one, but I'm so glad I took the time.  What an adventure it was!  The premise of the story is a man going back in time to stop the assassination of President Kennedy.  But the journey to get there is full of problems and joys.  He goes back to the present before the assassination attempt and can see what the little changes he made in the past have done to the future.  But when he goes back in time again to save Kennedy, everything has reset as if he'd never been there.
                                                                                                          
What a great read and I would recommend this to anyone that would like to take a trip back in time to the 50's and 60's and to see what just might happen if we could change the past.

Arby's Senior Discount:
When I turned 50 and received my application for AARP, I think I cried.  But when I received my Golden Buckeye card when I turned 60...wow...what a shock.  Was I really that old?
 
My kids took me out to eat for my 60th birthday and let the waitress know that I was eligible for a senior discount...thanks kids.  But the next week when I took one of my clients out to eat, I was automatically given the discount.  They didn't even ask!  I think I colored my hair the next week.

But this week I went through the drive-thru at Arby's for lunch.  The menu and little "ordering box" are at the back of the restaurant.  When I gave her my order she asked if I was eligible for a senior discount.  I said "How old do I have to be?"  "Well, I guess a Golden Buckeye card would work."  "Okay then.  I guess I am."  When I got to the window I asked her if they have a camera back there where you order.  "No, we don't."  "So does that mean I even sound old now?"  WTH!

Well, she was all apologetic, and I assured her (with a smile) that it was fine, that she didn't offend me. 
But, damn, this was a low blow...cause in my head I'm still in my 40's.  (That was said with a smile, too  :)

Bread Dressing:
If you made the sub sandwiches from last week and still have left-over bread, or even if you didn't, I have a wonderful recipe for dressing that can be stuffed in chicken or turkey...or just baked in a casserole dish. 

Way back in the 60's I used to read True Story magazine...in fact in the 80's they published my first attempt at a short story and I got a check for $375 for it...wheeeee...I was on cloud 9 for a very long time.

Anyway...they had featured this recipe.  I tried it, loved it, and have been making it every since.  I'm posting the original recipe here, but just for the record, I have to multiply it times 5 or 6 when I'm stuffing my turkey for our family Thanksgiving.  But for myself, the single recipe works fine.   So here it is:

1/3 c water - in small saucepan and add...
1/3 c chopped onions
1/3 c chopped celery
When vegetables are tender, do not drain but add to pan...
1/4 c. butter just until butter melts.  Remove from heat.
In medium bowl  put 4 cups soft bread crumbs (app. 4 slices broken into small pieces) and add...
1 egg (beaten) and mix well
Pour in melted butter mixture
Add...
1 t. salt
1/8  t. pepper
1/8  t. sage and mix well
Pour into casserole dish (or stuff turkey or chicken)
Casserole dish will bake covered at 350* for 45 min or until top is browned nicely.
If you use this to stuff a turkey, remember stuff it right before it goes in the over.  Stuffing cannot be put in the turkey the night before as it produces an enzyme (oh Lord what is it)...anyway it's not good for you. 
And enjoy!!

Preview:
Since I mentioned each of my grandchildren in the last post, I'm going to mention my foster grandchildren in my next post.
 
Quotes of the Day:
But I'm kind of comfortable with getting older because it's better than the other option, which is being dead. So I'll take getting older. ~ George Clooney

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough. ~ Groucho Marx

If you're always battling against getting older, you're always going to be unhappy, because it's going to happen anyhow. ~ Mitch Albom

4 comments:

Tari said...

OMG...I totally remember the short story in True Story Magazine!! I bought a copy of it and showed it off to all my friends. I was sooooooo excited for you!! I was devastated several years ago when I looked thru my trunk of mementos and it wasn't there :o(

Karen said...

I lost mine too during one of my moves but Mom kept her copy and I now have it back. What a surprise that she kept it all these years. Or maybe not. :)

Tari said...

One day at a family reunion, Grandma told the story about not setting the parking brake on her car and while she was in the store it rolled in the creek. She said she was too embarrassed and walked home and got Grandpa to take care of it. She said it made the paper, picture and all. She then got in her billfold and pulled out the newspaper clipping that was like...good grief, it had to be AT LEAST 50 years old, because I was pushing 40 by then!! So does it surprise me that she still had that magazine?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! If it weren't for Grandma's quirky, silly, amazing ways I might not have 4 very cool mementos of my mom and that's pretty awesome :o)

Karen said...

I can't believe you remembered that story. I was with her that day (in my own car). We were both there to get our free 8 pack of Pepsi and she thought someone had stolen her car. She won a free dinner from that store and refused to go for fear everyone there would know she was the lady who's car had been in the creek.