Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Stop Writing Good Novels!

Stop The Books! :
Just waiting for me to do something.
I guess I can't blame anyone but myself for my over abundance of reading material.  But living alone and being semi-retired, I have extra time to read now. I try to limit it to when I'm eating (book propped up in a little holder) and before I turn out the light at night.  Otherwise I wouldn't be giving myself time for all life's other enjoyments...like time with the grandkids, my favorite TV shows, an occasional game on the computer, and playing ball with my overly dependent Maggie. 

And then there's life necessities...the house cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, part-time work, and the best necessity...my need to write, to get caught up in my own characters in my own novel-in-progress, not to mention trying to get my finished manuscript to catch the eye of an agent.  

Whew!  After reading all that, when in the world do I have time for reading?  Oh, but I find the time.  Being on a fixed income doesn't leave a lot for buying books, especially not as many as I read.  So, contrary to what publishers want to hear, especially coming from a wanna-be-writer, I get my books at my local library. 

My choices may come from a recommendation in People magazine, or an email of favorites from the library, or maybe just standing in the book isle at Walmart.  Then I go online and reserve the ones I want on my library website and wait my turn in line.  But my problem is, I reserve too many.  There's so many good ones out there, I can't help myself.   Suddenly they're all coming in at once and I'm overwhelmed with reading material....to the point of resigning myself to the fact that I'm going to be paying overdue fines.  I can only keep each book one month.

Right now, my pile of "books-in-waiting" is only 3, but that's not counting the one I'm reading, which incidentally was due last Saturday.  But there are 4 more waiting for me to pick up at the library.  What have I gotten myself into? 

Since I can't seem to stop reading the really good suspense books and the really good life-changing books, then I have to ask the authors...stop writing such good novels (at least for a little while) and give me a chance to catch up!

Down River by John Hart
Okay, somehow I completely missed my review on Down River.  I had started writing it, then life got in the way, and before I knew it, I had finished the next John Hart novel, The Last Child.  That one I finished in about 4 days.


But Down River, published in 2007, was just as good as the other ones I've read by this author.  There is edge-of-your-seat suspense, along with love, betrayal, lies, murder, confessions, denials and grief. It has it all. When I finished reading this, I have to admit, I was literally overwhelmed with emotions to the point of tears.

I originally started reading John Hart's books when I saw his newest, Iron House, on the shelves of my book store.  It sounded good, though I'm a little leery of authors I haven't read or heard of before.  But I have to admit, I was blown away.  The story took me over completely and I didn't come up for air until I read the last page.  That's when I found out he had 3 previous novels so I immediately put them on hold at the library.  What followed was Down River, then The Last Child (OMG...awesome).  I have one more to go to get caught up...The King of Lies...and it's one of the ones in waiting at the library as I type.  But if its even half as good as the previous 3, I'll be one happy camper.  I think he's my new favorite author...seriously.

Quotes of the Day:
I cannot live without books. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. ~ Mark Twain

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm


No comments: