Friday, June 8, 2012

Hectic Mind = Hectic Life

Temporarily Disorganized Life:
My life has gotten so hectic lately.  Every day I try to find just a few more hours to squeeze out of it.  I have a number of things I want to get accomplished, but instead of sticking with one till its finished, I seem to be all over the place.  I have to write on sticky notes to remind myself what I need to do...a sign of old age if I ever saw one...or maybe just a temporarily disorganized mind.  Take your pick.

My writing is taking up space on the back burner for now.  I've been so caught up in so many other things that I can't seem to find the time to focus long enough to even finish a chapter in my new manuscript. 

I've been researching sites to set up our new concession stand, and even though there's already a route in place for us, there's some free weekends we could be selling food if I can get us signed up as vendors.  But I'm getting ahead of myself here anyway cause we don't even own it yet.  But still I keep looking...and writing down the good ones.  I'm like a kid in a candy store trying to decide what to spend next week's allowance on.

I haven't even made a dent in my spring cleaning and my house really, really needs it.  Living alone does not stop windows from getting dirty or curtains from needing washed and rehung.  Or my stupid junk nooks from getting cleaned out.  I could probably have a big garage sale with what I find in there.  But it'll still be there tomorrow, right?


The damn pool!
One thing I did finish was my pool.  Usually I have help from my daughter and grandsons putting this up, but I decided that it couldn't be that hard to do it myself.  So an hour after I started, with sweat running into my eyes and my shoulders and thighs aching, my pool looked like this: I didn't realize how much pushing and pulling it took to get it straight and to get all the wrinkles out.  Next year Amy and my grandsons can come back.  And 8 hours later, this is how it looked...


Now its a good pool!

 

Trace going for a base hit!!!
 I tried to go to my grandson's ball game, but with 6 or 7 fields, I couldn't find him.  I forgot my phone, so I couldn't call my daughter to see where they were and do you realize how 8 year old boys in jerseys and ball caps all look alike?  Yep, they do.  So this grandma just turned around and went home.  After the game, Trace told my daughter that he saw Grandma driving around while he was playing...how could he miss me in my yellow banana...he got a chuckle out of that.

My fun yellow banana that makes me smile!

Jordan and Sophia spending the nite
Today (Friday) I don't have to work, I don't need groceries, my bills are paid and I don't have to be anywhere (at least I don't think so...no sticky note telling me I do).  So today I said "to hell with it" and am just doing whatever I feel like.  My sheets are hanging on the line, I played ball with Maggie, I'm writing this blog post, I baked two dozen cookies and my granddaughters are spending the night tonight.  The 3 of us will eat popcorn and watch I-Carly, or Sponge Bob or whatever they want and we'll play one of my many computer games that they love, and I'll...just...relax.  No stress, no regrets. 
And I'm going to start reading a new book.

The Litigators by John Grisham: 
I had stopped reading John Grisham's books for a while because I just couldn't get into all the legal chatter in the book.  But I picked this one up because the story seemed so interesting: 

David, a young, burned-out lawyer from a prestigious law firm, walks out, goes on a one-day bender, and finds himself in the little "boutique" firm of Finley and Figg.  In a word, they're ambulance chasers, but when David joins their firm, things begin to look up.  They become involved in much bigger cases involving a large tort action and children dying from lead poisoning in toys.

The Litigators is a tremendously entertaining romp, filled with the kind of courtroom strategies, theatrics, and suspense that have made John Grisham America’s favorite storyteller.

There is still the courtroom and legalese wording Grisham fans are used to, but I found myself caught up in it to where I didn't mind so much.  Not as much suspense as I'm used to, but still a really good story.

Son of Stone by Stuart Woods:
As soon as I finished The Litigators I moved right into Son of Stone.  I love Woods books, especially
those with Stone Barrington as the main character.  Stone can be a dry sort of character, not showing much, if any, emotion.  But that's the only complaint I have for this series. 

This review is from Barnes and Noble for Son of Stone:

"Not the least new surprise that Stone Barrington confronts in his latest outing is that he is the father, not just of a newborn, but of a fifteen-year-old boy. Arriving with that revelation are a host of problems, including his relationship with lover Arrington Calder and the aggressive prying of a tabloid celebrity sleuth. A suave change of pace for a popular series."


I know there's another book that's come out since this one (D.C. Dead) which I've already read, but somehow I missed this one.  And now he has another new one out, Unnatural Acts, that I really must put on hold at the library. 

Son of Stone is another good page turner (I read it in about 3 days in my spare time) that I highly recommend to Stuart Woods fans. 

Quotes of the Day:
Most people are so busy knocking themselves out trying to do everything they think they should do, they never get around to what they want to do. ~ Kathleen Winsor

A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower. ~ Kin Hubbard

 Always gotta keep busy or the voices start telling me to do wild things. ~ Steve Brown

No comments: