Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Playing catch-up

Just Some Thoughts
I've never been one to share my thoughts with others randomly before (well, except for my family) so this will be new to me. I started this blog 2 years ago and then never did anything with it. Now that's going to change. I have things I want to talk about and things I want to share and questions I want to ask. And what better place to do them then in my own blog where I can say whatever I want to say. But don't get nervous...I'll try to keep it tempered and in good spirit.

Today's been stressful because I made some major changes to a novel I've written. Then I sent queries off to 2 new agents. Crossing my fingers I made the right changes. I thought writing the novel was hard enough. Little did I know that the query letter and the synopsis would be even more daunting. Usually the only hope of catching an agent's eye is in the query letter so it better be good. If you're lucky, they also want a synopsis...the dreaded synopsis. This gives them more detail about your novel. But if you're really lucky, they want to see sample pages or chapters which gives you a chance to let them actually read the beginning of your novel. And it better be good enough that they want to read more.

I got computer generated responses letting me know that my emails actually made it to both of their offices. Now I have to wait till after the holidays when they're actually back in the office to see if I interested them. And that can take up to 2 months. Oh the life of a want-to-be writer.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. The adrenalin rush is exhilarating.

Hopefully, as I continue with this blog, I will find ways to make it interesting, funny, thoughtful and newsy.  So wish me luck.

No comments: