Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ramblings

Ramblin' Ramblings

Since the last couple of posts have been on more serious issues, I thought I'd keep this one on the lighter side.  Especially since I have a more serious issue I want to address later in the week.

Yesterday's winds in NW Ohio were pretty bad.  They blew down a section of my neighbor's privacy fence into my back yard.  Now this is the same neighbor that owns Bronson, the dog I talked about in an earlier post, (Jan 15th) so we all know he's not going to be fixing it anytime soon.  So guess who will get stuck doing it?  My son-in-law.  What?  You didn't think I was going to nail that 8ft. section up, did you?  Hahaha!  I can hold it while he nails it but that's about the extent of my helping.  If I did it, the nails would end up bent and the fence would have indentations showing every time I missed the hammer.  So I think I have to leave this one to David...or maybe Dion.   

My daughter had to work early this morning and my granddaughters spent the night with me last night so I could get them off to school.  The youngest, Sophia, wanted waffles.  I was out of maple syrup so told her she'd have to have Karo syrup.  She stared at me like I'd spoken a foreign language.  Now I grew up on Karo syrup and for those of you who are too young to have tried it, you really should.  Its delicious.  Needless to say, she loved it.  Another fist bump for Grandma.


Maggie after a day at day care
 Monday I had to work for 10 hours so I took Maggie to doggie day care.  If you've never taken your dog to a day care, you really ought to try it.  What are they going to do at home while you're gone anyway?  Lay around all day and be full of energy when you get home?  Get into trouble chewing things?  Eat the cat's food?  Yes, Maggie does that.  Not the chewing, but eating the cat's food. At day care they develop excellent social skills, get to play all day with other dogs and wear themselves completely out.  By the time they get home, all they want to do is sleep and you have a free evening.  Works for both of you.  I take Maggie at least once a week, sometimes twice.  When I ask her if she wants to go to doggie day care, she jumps around the house, tail wagging and a smile on her face.  As we get close to the building she recognizes the surroundings and paces in the back seat, whimpering, so excited.  Then she drags me to the door and doesn't even want to wait for a hug before she's gone...into the world of fun and dogs.  Check out this link of our day care.  http://www.howl-a-dayinn.com/                                    

Memories

When my kids were young I tried to teach them the things they would need to know when they were on their own.  I must have missed a few things. 
When my youngest, Amy, was 14, she came home from school with a recipe for a mayonnaise cake.  It sounded delicious.  Then she says "Mom, do you know that if you mix all this stuff together it makes a cake and you don't even need a box!"  What can I say?  
And then....my oldest daughter, Lisa, had moved out on her own and was making her first baked chicken.  She called me and said even though she'd followed a recipe she'd found, the chicken wasn't done when it should have been and she'd had to leave it in a lot longer.  Then she says "When I cut the chicken there was a bag inside!"  What can I say?
And now for my middle daughter, Michelle.  She wanted to make gravy so I told her to use her potato water and pour it into the meat drippings, mix flour and water till smooth and add to the pan till its the right consistency.  She called me later and let me know they couldn't use the gravy.  Her spoon stood straight up in it!  Did she miss the part about "the right consistency"?  What can I say?
And so is the life of a mother.

Pet Peeve of the Day

I don't think there's anything that flips my switch faster when I'm driving than a tailgater.  When I'm on the interstate and doing 65-70 mph, the last thing I want to see in my rear view mirror is the grill of your car.  If I can't see your bumper then you're too close to mine.  I have threatened to show drivers what my trunk looks like...well, not in person, just in the privacy of my car where no one can hear me :)  I won't speed up for your convenience so stop pushing me.  If you don't like the speed I'm doing then figure out how to get around me without killing me or back off.  When I drove on highway for a living delivering tons of things all over NW Ohio, I would inevitably have a tailgater at least twice a week.  I used to, when I was young and dumb, tap my brakes just enough to scare the driver into backing off.  Then I saw a young girl, by herself, do this as she was passing me, with a couple rough looking guys on her tail.  When she pulled back in front of me they immediately pulled in front of her and slowed down.  So she passed them, then they followed and pulled in front of her again.  I decided then that maybe tapping my brakes wouldn't scare everyone off and maybe, just maybe, I was asking for trouble.  Someone else's road rage might just be worse then mine.  So now I just threaten to show them my trunk.

Quotes for the Day:

Pretty much all the honest truth telling there is in the world is done by children.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?   Maxine

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive. ~Author Unknown


Have a wonderful day!  Kiss your kids and your pets but make sure the jelly and the dog hair is off your face before you leave the house.


No comments: