Monday, June 25, 2012

Loud Music and Hungry People:
This past weekend was a total success! 

Friday night during the auction to benefit St. Judes's Hospital, my daughter, Amy, and I had non-stop customers from 4-8:30.  Talk about getting our feet wet.  We learned the hard and fast way what worked and what didn't.  And we got a routine going that worked for us both. 

Its my camera that's tipped,
not the I
was sober.
 She manned the front window, taking orders and making the wraps and taking money.  I was continuously cooking in the deep fryer, making our ribbon fries, and restocking the ice and pop coolers.  The ribbon fries are so cool.  Using a drill and a base, one large potato goes into a pokey thing at the bottom where the slicer is, then with pokey things also stuck in the top of the potato, you use a drill to spiral the potato into this really neat ribbon. 

But a soft potato, or a curved potato would result in an exploding potato...all over me, Amy, and the trailer floor.  We both should have had aprons on cause we ruined a couple shirts.  But it was hilarious every time it happened.  The customers got a good laugh out of it. 

People just decided to join the last
singer on stage and it worked!
 Saturday was one loud band after another.  Really loud!  And we were right beside the stage.  My ears are still complaining.  But as the day progressed, so did the business.  By the time the last band (actually one girl on stage with canned music - she was really good) was playing, the entire fenced off area was filled with people. 

And business was again...non-stop.  They danced and partied and sang all evening.  We, and the other vendors, finally decided to shut down around 11:30 and they were still partying.  The crowd was out of control by this time (in a good way) with a lot of drinking going on.  In fact, while trying to pack things into the truck, 2 drunks, at 2 different times, found their way behind our truck, obviously lost, obviously looking for the porta potties, and obviously deciding that this was as far as they could go.  One of the poor guys just missed peeing on the electrical box.  That would have made my day!!!

Looking out from our trailer door
 It took us an hour and a half to clean up and close the place down, then we realized we couldn't get out...hahaha!  Okay, roll with the punches.  The crowd was blocking our escape route.  And the plastic barrier around the event was still up.  So we just left it and came home (another hour drive) in my car. 

My sweet, (almost) son-in-law went back with me the next day and drove it home for us.  It was quite an experience...we had a ball...and buku bucks were made.  And that was the whole point.

What I didn't expect was it taking all day Sunday to recuperate!  My old body was really protesting, but hopefully it will get used to these weekends. 

Oh yea, I almost forgot.  I lost 2 pounds over those 2 days!  Either I burned tons of calories (probably), sweated it off (probably), or maybe not eating well might have done it too.  We only had time to nibble off and on. I glad we decided to become carnies?  Hell, yes!

Funny Quotes of the Day:
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish? ~ Unknown
Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics. ~Author Unknown

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." ~ Charles M Schulz

No comments: