Friday, June 22, 2012

Nerves Galore!
Tomorrow is the day for our first festival (tonight is an auction so we may be in business during that) and I'm so excited but along with the excitement is this scary feeling.  The previous owners are setting it up this afternoon and we are meeting them at the campground later.  So we won't get to watch them set up. 

One time doesn't do it for me.  We need to do it ourselves to learn it.  Thank heavens they're going to be there today and tomorrow to run us through it again. 

Will we remember everything?  How to hook up the trailer to the truck?  How to light the deep fryers?  And backing it into the driveway when we bring it home?  That will be the fun part.  We really need to have someone there with a video camera cause that will surely be a "funniest videos" clip.  Hopefully the garage remains intact.

But a big plus.  I found out dogs are allowed at the campground!  Yea!  Maggie can go along tomorrow and hang out with us.  Wish us luck!

Pet Peeves:
I've been pretty laid back lately so not much has pushed my buttons.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I still tend to verbalize in the privacy of my car when other drivers do stupid things like not accelerating on the on-ramp to the interstate...or not pulling up into the intersection when the light's green and they're waiting to turn left, which means they're the only ones that are going to get to turn when the light changes again.  Or how about the guy who was obviously texting while he was coming onto the interstate and blending with the traffic...stupid.  But I've tried to mellow out about the little things...and...still...trying...

But something that has pushed my buttons lately is a little thing that's been happening on a daily basis.  My neighbors, that I don't have anything to do with because...well, because I simply don't like them...are really getting on my last nerve. 

They're the ones I posted about that had the dog, Bronson, that was so neglected.  (Venting - Jan. 15th) Well, now that he's found a new home (hopefully one where he's finally loved) it's the kids that are neglected. 

The mom likes to stay up late at night and sleep in the next day.  So the kids have to stay in their rooms till she gets up.  The youngest, a pre-schooler, makes good use of that time by throwing his brother's and sisters things, clothes and toys and what-nots, out the upstairs bedroom window.  Every day.  Since the houses are so close together, they always end up in my yard.  So lately, I've had to go out every day and clean up headless Barbies's and matchbox cars and drink boxes and school papers...you get the picture. 

By cleaning up, I mean that I simply toss them back into their yard.  She knows they do this, she's the one who has to eventually clean them up whenever she decides that maybe she ought to mow her lawn (once every 6 weeks or so).  And I've let her know twice that I'm not thrilled to have to clean up my yard when this happens.  The latest time being last night.  But will it stop?  No.  Cause she doesn't supervise her kids.  Cause she's sleeping.  Cause they can't come out of their rooms till almost noon.  Cause the 2 yr. old is bored.

But I have to ask myself...are my gripes justified?  Or have I just become bitchy in my old age?

So now that I've gotten that off my chest, on to more enjoyable things.  Like reading.

Celebrity In Death by J.D. Robb:
I loved this book,. but then I enjoy everything by J.D. Robb.  This is actually a pseudonym for Nora Roberts.  The first futuristic suspense J. D. Robb book, Naked in Death, was published in paperback in 1995, and readers were immediately drawn to Eve Dallas, a tough cop with a dark past, and her even more mysterious love interest, Roarke.  But it's not so futuristic that you can't imagine these things really being possible.  If I remember correctly, the stories are set around late 2050's to early 2060's depending on which book you're reading. 

Nothing science fiction about these stories, just very well-written mysteries/suspence with cool "toys" we will probably have access to in the near future.  And if we don't, we should have.
 
Lt. Dallas and her husband, Roarke, are attending a dinner with Hollywood's primo cast of a new movie.  When one of them is murdered while everyone else is watching blooper clips from the movie, Dallas and her side-kick, Peabody, must track down the killer in a world where all the suspects are actors....giving award winning performances. 

Another winner from J.D. Robb and full of suspence and intrique, including futuristic toys that I'd love to try out.

Quotes of the Day:
I don't have pet peeves, I have whole kennels of irritation. ~ Whoopi Goldberg

A two-year-old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it. ~ Jerry Seinfeld

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night. ~ Steve Martin


No comments: