Friday, January 13, 2012

Today's Thoughts

Winter has arrived!!!  I love the snow!  Maggie loves it too.  It seems to energize her.  Whereas Sweet Pea just burrows deeper into the large dog pillow that was originally purchased for Maggie.  Oh, well, Maggie wouldn't lay on it anyway.  I find that I am a little white-knuckled when I drive out of town in the snow though.  I'm okay if there's no one behind me pushing me to go faster.  Hey, I'm getting older and they tell us our reflexes are slower as we age so I'm not taking any chances.  So if you're behind me when I make my treks to Arlington and there's snow on the road, be prepared to muddle along behind me for 7 miles and then I'll be out of your way.  But get me out of the car and back home and Maggie and I will romp through it with abandon.  I don't even mind shoveling though I have to stop occasionallly to catch my breath or rub my back...but guess that's to be expected.  I have grandsons that could do it but I'm not ready to give it up yet.

My Observation Today
Driving to Arlington today I guess I wasn't going fast enough at 55 mph cause someone behind me decided he just had to pass.  Evidently where he was going was more important than where I was going.  But no one else in front of me (5 more cars) was in a big hurry either so guess who I was behind all the way to Arlington?  He stuck his nose out once and must have decided he couldn't pass all five of them before the semi that was approaching got to us so he had to just ride it out like the rest of us. 

My Thoughts Today
I have this manuscript I'm trying to find an agent for.  It fits in the "Women's Fiction" category but not the "Chic Lit".  It has some suspense, but not in the same heart-stopping way as James Patterson or Harlan Cobin.  I don't think men would be drawn to this story and I know its not for the young girls.  But women, especially women struggling in families or marriages or divorced life, just may be pulled into this story.  Its the emotional story of three friends nearing retirement and trying desperately to hold on to the lives they're familiar with.  But circumstances and wrong choices are trying to redefine who they really are.
Now what I have to do is decide if what I've written is enough.  Do I let it stand as it is and continue to look for an agent while I move on to Charlie's story?  Or do I go back again and do more editing?  One agent told me that my writing was strong but that this story didn't have the big hook editors were looking for in women's fiction.  But she also added, which I'm also aware of, that another agent may feel differently.  The good thing about this recent rejection is that it wasn't a form letter.  She actually wrote it to me personally which is a good sign.  Oh the struggles of a wanna-be writer.  Or should I say a wanna-be author. 

Quote of the Day
 Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain



No comments: