Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In My Opinion

The Republican Elections: 
As a Republican, I am so confused for the first time since I started voting...waaaay back when President Reagan was running for his first term.  There are 4 men in the running and 4 entirely different personalities.  That I can deal with.  But my problem is...one may share my opinion on abortion but not on social security.  Another may share my opinion on getting America back to work but not on Medicaid.  And while one may have plenty of financial resources, I personally don't think a man should be elected because he's able to spend more money on ads that do nothing but bash his opponents. 

And then I hear about electoral votes.  What the hell are those anyway?  During every presidential election I hear about the electoral votes and every presidential election I try to understand what they mean.  But it never becomes clear.  Why can't we just vote, count the votes, and the one with the most votes wins?  What is so wrong with that?  It's works in business, it works in families and it even works on American Idol.  The one with the most votes wins. 

So what does it all mean?  Well, for me it means that when the Republican that got the most electoral votes goes against Obama, I have to decide who I think is best to run our country and not run it into the ground.  What if I don't like any of them for the job?  Can I vote for Harrison Ford?  Haha!  He's my secret crush.  Or maybe I can vote for Joe the plumber?  I have no idea what I'm going to do.  I'll probably just have to vote against the one I like the least.  And I don't like that.

Exciting Book:
I just finished reading Taken by Robert Crais.  Another good book that I highly recommend if you like edge of your seat suspense.  Elvis Cole (where do authors come up with these names...smiling) is a very interesting, colorful character.  I love reading about him and his buddies.  They are always there for each other and just know what the other needs and exactly how they can help.  Whether its cleaning Elvis' car or saving his life.  They're close enough friends that they just know
 
In this story there are kidnappings, murders, people in very high places and those in very low places.  Elvis Cole can fit in with all of them, but is better suited to be in his own world, solving multiple crimes with just the help of his friends. 

In summary:  Taken is thrilling, emotional and passionate, with some of the best characters and well-crafted writing in all of crime fiction.  Not just a mystery but a thriller as well.  And highly recommended.

Another Pet Peeve:
This happens to me so often that it has to fall into my pet peeves list.  When I am looking for a parking space in a crowded parking lot and the arrows in the aisle I'm driving in point in the direction I'm moving, I don't want to have to scrunch over next to the bumpers of the cars already parked to let someone go past me in the wrong direction. 

Is there something wrong with your eyesight?  Can you not see the arrows coming toward you?  If not, can't you see that all the cars in that row are facing you?  And if all that is too hard to understand, can't you, at least, see me coming toward you?  It all means...you're going the wrong way.

Quotes of the Day:
How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America? ~ Author Unknown

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least. ~ Robert Byrne

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road. ~ Author Unknown


No comments: